Assignment 1: Letter of Introduction

 Dear Professor Brad,

I am Gabriel Tng Zhong Yi, a student from your effective communication class, writing this letter to formally introduce myself to you.

I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic, with a diploma in civil engineering with business in 2019. The reason why I continued to pursue civil engineering was because I found myself being interested with the built environment in terms of research, sustainability and construction. Hence, I aspire to continue my studies in this field in SIT and in hopes, to be able to graduate with a degree and devote myself to the built environment by contributing back in the future.

One communication strength that I personally possessed is being a people's person, to be someone that enjoys interacting with others and even striking conversations out of the blue. As I have been dancing for more than 3 years, dance has taught me to express myself better through actions and understanding one's emotions. Therefore, I feel that I am able to understand someone's intentions and emotions based on their actions, allowing me to be a sensitive person towards others.

One communication weakness that I have would be coming up with a thought process each time when I converse or speak, or thinking of what to say next to prolong a conversation. Therefore, I tend to be careful with my words as I may come out too straight forward or blunt to others and it may cause some misunderstandings or perhaps others may misinterpret my intentions. Hence, this is a flaw of mine when it comes to communication, hindering me from conversing fluently and smoothly.

I do hope that by the end of this module, I am able to converse fluently with my peers effortlessly without having the need to think too much about what I have to say and just being natural with words without any grammar mistakes or tense error as I tend to get confused sometimes. Therefore, I hope that by attending your lessons and completing this module, it can enhance my communication skills.

To conclude, what makes me different or stand out from others would be my ability to read peoples' emotions and making their day, constantly feeding them with endless laughter and happiness, having to know that they are feeling down or sad. I hope by reading this letter, you have some insight of who I am. I thank you for reading it, and I look forward to learning and achieving big things in your module.

Best regards,

Gabriel Tng


Edited: 9 April 2022

Comments

  1. Dear Gabriel,

    I enjoyed reading your letter and I admire your passion towards the built industry. I noticed that you have some grammatical errors in the letter.

    - should be
    - should be

    Overall, your letter is well written and informative. I have learnt a lot about you through your letter. I look forward to meeting you in class!

    Best regards,
    Justin Lim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Justin,

      Thank you for reading my letter! Truly appreciate that you took the time to inform me about my mistakes in the letter. I will make the necessary changes and glad you enjoyed reading my letter! Looking forward to knowing you better too!

      With regards,
      Gabriel

      Delete
  2. Dear Gabriel,

    I've enjoyed reading your letter and i feel I've got to know you better.

    However, I have noticed an error that could be corrected. In the 3rd paragraph, 'possessed' should be possess instead as its not in the past

    With regards,
    Erwin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erwin,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter! Truly appreciate it! I shall make the necessary changes and looking forward to knowing you better too!

      Cheers,
      Gabriel

      Delete
  3. Good Day Gabriel.

    I greatly enjoyed reading your letter. I like that your letter is comprehensive and well written. If I may give some feedback, I noticed a few errors in your letter as follows:

    Firstly in the sentence "I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic, with a diploma in civil engineering with business in 2019. ", I believe the comma before the preposition "with" is not needed.

    Secondly in the sentence "One communication strength that I personally possessed is being a people's person, to be someone that enjoys interacting with others and even striking conversations out of the blue.", the tense used in the word "possessed" is wrong and should be in present tense instead as I believe that you still currently possess this strength.

    Thirdly in the sentence "To conclude, what makes me different or stand out from others would be my ability to read peoples' emotions and making their day, constantly feeding them with endless laughter and happiness, having to know that they are feeling down or sad.", the phrase "making their day" is in the wrong verb form and should be written as "make their day".

    I am delighted to know you better through this letter and anticipate the improvements you will make in overcoming your weakness.

    With Regards,
    Wang Zhe








    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gabriel,

    Thank you for this richly detailed letter. In it you provide lots of concrete illustrations for each point from the assignment brief, giving us a clear image of who you are in terms of your interest in various facets of engineering the built environment, your comm skills and your module goals. I find it interesting how you connect dance with emotions and communication (which indeed it is), and only wonder what sort of dance you're involved in.

    In terms of language use, this letter is well written but you might consider the following sentence structure issues:
    -- One communication weakness that I have, would be coming up with a thought process each time when I converse or speak. For instance, thinking of what to say next to prolong a conversation.
    >
    One communication weakness that I have would be coming up with a thought process each time when I converse or speak, or thinking of what to say next to prolong a conversation.

    -- I hope by writing this letter, it has given you an insight of who I am and thank you for reading. Looking forward to learning and achieving big things in your module.
    >
    I hope by READING this letter, you HAVE SOME insight of who I am. I thank you for reading it, and I look forward to learning and achieving big things in your module.

    I look forward to readig more of your writing this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts